The Reinventing Progress conference was held in Cairns on April 17th 2012.
This event was presented by the Cairns and Far North Environment Centre with funding from the federal Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities and with the generous support of the local sponsors listed below. We look forward to continuing to work closely with the community, government, industry and other organisations to encourage the transition to a more sustainable future.
For further information please contact our Urban Sustainability Officer on 4032 1746 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The presentations from each of the speakers are included below:
- Introduction slides (0.6MB)
- Maree Grenfell – What is a sustainable future? (1.9MB)
- Professor Ian Lowe – Welcoming change and recognising opportunities (1.7MB)
- Kate Harris – Leadership for an uncertain future (3.2MB)
- Allan Jones – Can cities generate their own electricity? (Follow link and view presentation at bottom of the page)
- Matthew Wright – A Zero Carbon Future – what will it take? (11.6MB)
- Amandine Denis – Making sense of the carbon economy (1.9MB)
- Professor Peter Newman – What will sustainable cities and towns of the future look like? (8.5MB)
- Nikki Huddy – The importance of planning for happiness and well-being (11MB)
- Dr Paul Downton – Building resilient and sustainable cities – is it possible? (12.3MB)
- Marcus Barber – Strategic futures session (0.2MB)
- Strategic futures workshop notes
Our thanks go to the following sponsors for their support of this event.
Cairns Regional Council
Regional Development Australia
James Cook University and TropEco
The Hotel Cairns
And to the Deparment of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities’ GVEHO program for the initial funding to run this event.
1. Conference introduction
7. Matthew Wright – A zero carbon future?